Date, thy name is random

7/09/2011 The Romantic 1 Comments

10am this morning, I'm mopping the floor in my kitchen.

In pops the head of The Last-Minute Dater. The Last-Minute Dater is named thus because he is notorious for walking around Saturday mornings asking people on dates for that night. Often the girls in my ward are busy, and often he complains about how often he gets turned down.
But what do you expect Last-Minute Dater? Of course most girls would have plans...

So as I mop my kitchen floor this morning, The Last Minute dater asks if I would like to double with him and his friend this afternoon on a date to the Alpine Slide in Park City.

I didn't have any plans. So I said yes. Even though I didn't really want to go. It was just one of those days where I didn't want to make small talk with a complete stranger if I didn't have to.

Enter The Quiet Man.

The Quiet Man is an elementary ed major from American Fork. He was nice enough, but he hardly spoke.

A little taste of our conversation:

"So what made you decide to go into el ed?"
"Oh, it's a really long story.... I looked into teaching before my mission. And then on my mission, I really liked teaching kids. So when I came back..."

Long story? I think not.

I was able to keep the conversation going all the way to Park City, but I just couldn't do it once we reached the slide.

And on the way home, the other girl fell asleep in the car. So I ended up just talking to The Last-Minute Dater as The Quiet Man just sat there in silence.

At least I was spared the awkward door step scene. I just had to deal with an awkward parking lot scene instead.


Do you think my mission call will come this week?

ciao bellas
-the Romantic

You Might Also Like

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had something like this happen to me last night. Except he asked me as he was leaving to go to a concert with him...and I was in my pajamas...and had people over...and was obviously busy.