Are you Elizabeth Bennet?

9/29/2011 The Lady 9 Comments

Jane Austen's masterpiece, Pride and Prejudice was published in 1813. Now nearly two hundred years later the mass hysteria our dear Jane created is still in full swing. As is evidenced by this often ridiculous blog.

And all of us are waiting. The women are waiting for Mr. Darcy to come banging on their doors. We would not complain if he arrived having just risen, dripping from the lake.



Need I say more? I think not.

As for the men, you are waiting for Elizabeth Bennet. And don't you deny it. You wouldn't mind for her to rise dripping from the lake either, but please, let's not be graphic.


In my little conversations with my dear friend Jane {Yes, the Jane}, I sometimes ask, "Why Jane? Why? Why did you create these characters that torment us so?" Naturally, she just smirks and never says a word.

I would love to give credit where credit is due, but I honestly do not know the source of this cunning cartoon strip. A fan emailed this to us, and did not leave any source to document, so please enjoy this mild form of plagiarism:



Touche Jane. Touche.

Con Amor,
The Coquette

You Might Also Like

9 comments:

Colonel Paisley said...

Hopefully the comic artist does not leave out Colonel Fitzwilliams.

Also, I laughed a lot.

The Charmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You are amazing! Thank you for making me smile every time I read your posts!

Summer said...

loved it :)

Anonymous said...

Mr. Bingley always was my favorite.

Kelli said...

I love this! SO funny! And hey, I adore Mr. Bingley. I would take him any day. :)

Jean said...

I'm just going to put this out there, and let you stew on it.

Mr. Darcy never said anything right. He offended Elizabeth (and almost everyone else) the first time they met. Elizabeth hated him for most of the novel. No matter how honest the sentiment, Darcy always sounded rude. Proud, if you will. Maybe even a bit prejudiced. Now I don't mean be rude, but try and read the book as it is written, not with Colin Firth in your head. Darcy is an idiot. An intelligent, handsome, rich idiot. He loves her, yes, and she comes to care for him, but she wasn't looking for a Darcy and he wasn't looking for an Elizabeth.

They both had their eyes opened to the possibility of loving someone whom it had seemed near impossible to love. And it is THE love story now. The beautiful story of overcoming differences, and perhaps giving up something bad in oneself in order to find the good in another.

So as entertaining as this blog always is, I'd just like to say that no one is looking for a man who has mortified her pride with his. Maybe we would all be happier if we realized that we don't want a Darcy... At least we wouldn't know it when we first meet him. We would all want the bingleys and the wickams. The best men to have, may not seem so at first.

So maybe the whole point isn't to be looking for a Darcy, but to have our eyes open.

M. Palmer said...

Yay! Thank you Jean for saying what I've thought more than once while reading this blog!

Unknown said...

I never wanted Mr. Darcy anyway.