The Chandler Bing Effect and Some Sundry Annoyances

9/09/2011 The Lady 3 Comments



Dear Members of the Male Species,
Over the course of the past couple of months, I have noticed a few errata that the gentlemen of Brigham Young University frequently commit.

One of which I wish to address is the "Chandler Bing Effect". Now I know that most of you are much more righteous than myself {and I am not above admitting my flaws} and do not participate in nor approve of watching the popular sitcom Friends. However, there are important life lessons to be learned from this less-than-virtuous show {I am in no way endorsing Friends, but if you watch it, you and I may have something to talk about other than Jane Austen}. On with the point.


One of the male characters, Chandler Bing, in his search for the perfect woman in his life, often tells women that he goes out with, "I had a good time. Let's go out again. I'll call you." {Not a direct quote}. The fact of the matter is, Chandler never has any intention of taking these women out again, and yet, he cannot stop himself from handing them this line.

Our darling BYU men are suffering from this very same effect. Let me be frank. Gentlemen, if you don't plan on asking us {women} out again, please don't tell us that you will. I promise you that we will not be offended if you never call again. We, like you, thrive on honesty. Clarification: Do not tell us that you won't call or that you didn't have a good time. Just leave us be if you don't intend on taking us out again.


If you prefer women to suffer from Over-analyzeitis, then by all means, Chandler Bing it up.


On holding the door:
In your quest to be gentlemen, keep it simple. Yes, please hold the doors for us. We appreciate it.
But don't overdo it.

A good rule of thumb: If you don't have to raise your voice to be heard by us, then it is a good door-opening distance.

On the side hug:
It is my opinion that if you cannot give a person a hug incorporating both arms, do not attempt to embrace them. Being of a rather medium height, I do not appreciate being stuffed into men's armpits. And I daresay that I am not the only woman who feels this way. And if I am...well, if you ever chance to meet me, do not give me a side hug.

And that, my dear gentlemen, is what I have to say to you. May you never incorporate the Chandler Bing Effect, long-distance door-holding, or the side hug again.

Cheers,
The Coquette

P.S. I'm currently studying The Jane Austen Handbook on how to elope to Scotland.
"You take the low road, and I'll take the high road, and I'll be in Scotland afore thee!"
But hopefully you still show up...

You Might Also Like

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate the side hug! Why o why do all guys think this is an appropriate way to greet or say goodbye to a girl. It makes both huggers feel awkward!

Anonymous said...

One of the male characters, Chandler Bing, in his search for the perfect woman in his life, often tells women that he goes out with, "I had a good time. Let's go out again. I'll call you." {Not a direct quote}. The fact of the matter is, Chandler never has any intention of taking these women out again, and yet, he cannot stop himself from handing them this line.



You just described Joey Tribbiani, not Chandler Bing.

Anonymous said...

"You just described Joey Tribbiani, not Chandler Bing.

Actually, "The one with the Doll House" Season 3, Episode 20, is the episode in question in which Chandler goes out with Rachel's boss Joanna. Chandler compulsively finishes every date by saying, "Well this has been great! We should do it again sometime! I'll call you!" Even though he later tells Rachel that he has no intention of calling her.