RRMs

9/27/2011 The Charmer 5 Comments

There is a darling little breed of males on campus that I fondly refer to as RRMs. You know, "recently returned missionaries."

They're kind of awkward, they're bright-eyed and optimistic, and they don't quite know how to talk about anything besides their missions. And sometimes they blush if you sit too close to them.

I'm at the age where all of my guy friends from freshman year have just returned from their missions, and it is so fun to watch them as they step back into the dating scene. Over the weekend, I was actually helping one of my good RRM friends win over a girl. Apparently I have the magic touch, since now he has a date with her on Thursday and she even gave him a "neck hug" after he brought her cookies Sunday night. (Apparently the "neck hug" was the equivalent of a goodnight kiss for him, since he was absolutely thrilled.)

Over the summer, I had an RRM interested in me. We went on a couple dates, and despite the fact that he was a really nice boy, it never turned into anything. I just had to share with you some of the darling and awkward RRM moves he pulled.

1. He texted me frequently--and whenever the conversation seemed to be dying, he would throw in questions out of nowhere to keep me talking with him. For example, we'd been talking about homework or tests or something and the conversation was a little on the dead side. Suddenly, out of the blue, I get a text from him that says, "That's great that work went by quickly. So...what's your favorite holiday?" Although I must admit my favorite was the time he texted me with the question, "So...what are some of your dreams and ambitions and goals for your life?" Oh dear.
2. The poor boy brought new meaning to the term "awkward doorstep moment." On the first date, it was fairly painful. So, on our second date, he dropped me off and I tried to make it easy for him by cutting right to the point: Thanks, that was fun, have a good night. Right after I said "Okay...well, I'll see ya later" and turned to open my door, he asks if I can teach him the cha-cha. Right there. On my doorstep. With my roommate sitting on the couch, listening to us and laughing the whole time.
3. He asked if he was allowed to hug me.
I just love RRMs. They are too cute.

Please, share your RRM stories with me. I know that someone out there has a good one.

And I really hope one of your stories involves cats.

Oh, and of course the weekly update on my ever-amusing love life.
Piano Man and Mr. Director are moving in and making it very clear that they are interested, despite the fact that both of them know about Masimo and both of them know that I am interested in dating Masimo. Apparently, this bit of knowledge is not a deterrent.
Masimo, however, is taking his sweet cautious time. He's nervous about scaring me off by moving things too fast, and I think this fear mainly stems from my track record of blowing him off a year ago when he was more aggressively pursuing me. So I guess it's understandable...but the fact is that he had ample opportunity to hold my hand on our date Friday night and he did not. Piano Man and Mr. Director would hold my hand in a second if I'd give them the chance.

xoxoxo,
The Charmer

PS- I set a new record for myself last week. 6 dates. One week. Dang. That's out of control.

You Might Also Like

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to be honest, I am not exactly rooting for Masimo. It's probably because ever since you first posted about him, all I can see in my head is that picture you used to illustrate. The downfalls of an anonymous blog I suppose. I'm excited to see how it all pans out though, and I'll be happy with whatever you are happy with.

Lauren R said...

I just love your life.

Shelby said...

RRM's are hilarious. I can't even tell you how many times I've been asked to share my testimony and read conference talks while on dates with them ha ha

Anonymous said...

I had a roommate who went out on a date with a rrm (one she'd dated him a year before he left and had been writing while he was out) It was their first date since he came home, and at the end of it he wasn't quite sure what to do and humbly asked, "so how does this 'ending the date' thing work? Do we say a closing prayer?...." baahahahaaa classic! they are now happily married and adorable together! :)

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, her reaction: "no!" and proceeded to hug him while laughing hysterically.