The Campout

7/01/2014 The Blue Stocking 3 Comments

The annual ward campout was a trying two days. While I wanted to drive up with Henry, he played the dutiful son and went early to set up. I drove into the campsite later that night, spotting Henry waiting for me in the main building. As he approached a weird vibe descended. It was as if we were meeting for the first time; each unsure what to say or how to act. The events that followed proved we were a little too content to hang out with other people instead of each other.

Towards the end of the night I found myself sitting with Calvin and Cali when I looked up and there was Henry crossing the room to settle in beside me and finally the weird vibe dissipated.  

The one on one time was exactly what we needed, but as our conversation continued on I had the nagging worry Henry was turning me into his little fan girl instead of his equal. I’m all for listening to a guy’s tales of glory, but I need to at least get a word in edgewise. Even with this thought going through my head, I was hoping we might stay up and get to the bottom of all the confusion.  But as everyone headed for bed, Henry abruptly got up and left without a word.

I went to bed frustrated and woke up in foul mood, but I was determined to make the most of my time in the woods.  I spent the morning playing games with a group of guys, and Henry was nowhere to be found. On my way back to my tent I ran into Henry who announced he was going hiking with a group of friends. I waited for a “you should come” but apparently that was a silly assumption.

I spent the rest of the day thoroughly confused. And the confusion doubled when Smitie, Henry’s cousin, called me up to go on a lunch date. RAGE.

I told Smitie I was still in the mountains, because I was, and went in search of something to punch.

After my fruitless plight to punch, I went back to the guys I was with before and had a smashing morning. Who needs Henry to have fun! Ok I do...but I’m working with what I have. I also got trapped into a grand two hour convo with the leaders about what more I should be doing to snag my eternal mate. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I stayed up that night worrying about my next interaction with Henry. Did his behavior on the campout mean he wasn't feeling us anymore? And if that was true, how in the world was I going to make it through church without having a mini breakdown. 

That Sunday I entered the chapel and swiftly made my way to my bench, head down, heart pounding. I barely had time to open the program when I saw Henry approaching from the side. I stood up to greet him and his arm went around me and the flirting commenced. I guess that’s a good sign? After sacrament I passed the library which contained not just Henry, but Smitie. Henry, upon seeing me, called out insisting that I not only join him but I stay by his side. Smitie refused to make eye-contact.

I’m a terrible person. A happy person, but a terrible one all the same. The happiness level doubled when Henry joined me for a movie that night. Maybe I was worrying for nothing.

-The Bluestocking

You Might Also Like

3 comments:

Perpetually Single said...

Why do guys do that? Show so much interest and then partially or completely ignore you for awhile (or ever)? At least it's been happening to me a lot lately.

Crossing my fingers for you! Loving the updates from everyone these days.

Bluestocking said...

I. Don't. Know. But they better knock it off.

And thanks! It's nice to know someone's reading this outpouring of frustration.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading too! And I agree. Boys are confusing.