I Hope I Get Married

4/11/2012 The Closer 3 Comments

I have been thinking a lot about hope the past few days, especially how that relates to my last post about emotional roller-coasters, so I thought I'd get real with you today. I was talking with a friend yesterday and he mentioned the scripture in Hebrews that says:

"Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast..."

I came to understand that I have been putting my hope into the wrong things, rather than the right person, Jesus Christ.             

A real hope in Christ and His promised blessings allows us to remain steady and anchored

I was putting hope into the "potential relationships" I found myself encountering, which are fickle things, and not safe places for my hope to abide. Sure the excitement is thrilling, like a roller-coaster, but that's not a ride I want to be on for any extended period of time. 

In this same conversation, we talked about the things that we go to for comfort. If I hear bad news, I might go to a friend to express my hurt. If I don't want to face my responsibilities, I might turn on the tv. This friend referenced an article he read in the Liahona, that mentioned the scripture in 2 Nephi that says:

 "Others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security..."

The woman in the article realized that she was 
seeking comfort in carnal things
versus 
seeking healing in Christ.

And I realized that I am guilty of the same thing.

Are we seeking to find comfort in dating or relationships? Do we have an everlasting hope in Christ that gives us an anchor of strength and confidence in His will and plan for us? Are we trusting that the Lord really is trying to make us happy even when it feels like what we want keeps slipping through our fingers?

I love the verse that teaches us to "be still and know that I am God". 

We can have peace and comfort that the Lord can 
heal us, comfort us, and strengthen us. 

As long as we give Him the opportunity to. 

Yours Truly, 

The Closer

You Might Also Like

3 comments:

Oh Closer, how wonderful are you. I needed to read this. Thank you for your message of inspiration and insight.

This comment was the perfect capstone on the spiritual/dating experiences I had this last week. You are awesome. I think the Lord lets us know what we need to hear, even when it comes from dating blogs ;)

flutefairy said...

I have been working on this for the last few weeks and have finally made some progress. :) I'm so grateful for Heavenly Father, that he helps me find peace. It definately takes effort on my part (way more effort than watching TV) but it is so worth it. Best of luck!