Introducing Calvin

2/01/2014 The Blue Stocking 2 Comments

On my last post someone pointed out that naming a guy I liked The Cousin made it seem like I was promoting incest. From now on he will be named Henry.

The Smitie date happened before Thanksgiving and everyone knows the holidays are ideal for avoiding. And that’s what I did.Things with Henry were also nonexistent unless you count the time I ran into him at church and we talked for a total of 45 seconds.

Do you know who does count that 45 second interaction? Me, that’s who. This is what desperation looks like.



Ok through all the Poly and Smitie talk, there’s one guy I’ve left out of the catch up. I was hoping that by now I would have something concrete to say about him, but I don't. See I've never been the girl who couldn't make up her mind about a guy. Either I like him or I don't. but this new guy has decided to ruin my ability to trust myself. And though it's not technically his fault, I blame him. Let's start at the beginning. 

In July my cousin (yes my actual cousin) moved into the ward and brought with him a group of fellow med students.  

One in particular began hanging with us in our tight knit group of friends. Let’s call him Calvin. Calvin is hard to explain. He’s the kind of guy that you can tell is observing what’s going on around him and is content to not step in and put on a show. He’s nice, ambitious, and outdoorsy to the extreme; meaning he basically puts me to shame in every way possible.

For the first few months I believed that he was indifferent towards me and I will even go as far as to say he just didn't like being around me...or so I thought. Around October things started to pick up. 

As the weeks went by our mutual friends found themselves partnered up with girlfriends and boyfriends leaving ol Calvin and me as the mismatched pair of socks.

A week before Halloween our group of friends headed out to go rock climbing. As we were suiting up Calvin came up and started talking to me. This wasn’t unusual, ok wait, yeah it kind of was. He then asked if I wanted to be his partner. I’m pretty sure my reaction was “ok, I guess you have a death wish or something.”

I have to say while Calvin was an experienced rock climber, I was a clumsy fool. I don’t even like rocks. But Calvin was determined to get me to climb a wall and with his help I did eventual reach the ceiling. With great relief, I was on my way down when the rope suddenly loosened resulting in me dropping a couple of inches. That wasn’t the only thing that dropped. I’m pretty sure my heart went through the floor and is now buried somewhere deep in the earth.

I looked down fully expecting an apologetic face when all I found was a guy laughing up at me. Did we just flirt? Also I would like you to note that only in dating would an attempt at my life be considered a step towards a relationship.

More to come

-The Bluestocking

You Might Also Like

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another doctor? Your ward sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

I love that last line :) "only in dating would an attempt at my life be considered a step towards a relationship." Hilarious!