The Man with Many Hats

12/14/2012 The Lady 1 Comments

With finals week comes many an extraordinary event. But that's all over now. I'm finished with BYU and it's finished with me. It is one of the strangest feelings I have ever encountered. Now I must needs figure out what to do with my life. Teacher? Actress? Heart surgeon?

One of this week's more extraordinary events was a discussion I had with a classmate. I spent an entire semester in class with this guy and never really ever said more than "hello" to him, but then BAM! We sat in the hall and had a phenomenal discussion which took up most of the hour we had each set aside to study for exams. Who needs more time to study when great conversations can be had? I may not remember what my grades were by next month, but I am certain I will remember this conversation for many years.

We just sat there, our backs against the walls as we talked about our major, our lives, our ambitions. It was the best sort of connection. Then he said something that I'll never forget. "I like to think of myself as a man with many hats." He proceeded to tell me all the majors he had tried all the things he hoped to do, the reason he was in our major and what other majors he hoped to try afterwards. A man with many hats.

All I could think of was how exhausted I was by our conversation. It was like exercising for the first time after months of being sedentary or getting sprayed by a fire hose. Exhilarating and overwhelming all at once. I want to marry a man like that. Not particularly this man, but a man who feels like he does about his own life. That there is just too much to learn to take a break from it all.

I want a man who wears many hats. I am after all a woman with many faces.

Con Amor,
The Lady

You Might Also Like

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know if you (or any of the Anti-Austens, really) wore pants to church today. Not to judge ... I just wonder.